Essentials of Eternal Life
” The Essentials of Eternal Life “
|A Common Question: A rich ruler once asked Jesus this very question: “What good thing must I do to get eternal life?” (Matthew 19:16). It is common for people from all walks of life to desire eternal life. Men and women have been seeking salvation, heaven and the kingdom of God since the dawn of creation.
How can we have life everlasting? The Bible tells us what we must do to get eternal life.
1. Realize Your Condition. Many people desire eternal life and have done many things to try and obtain it. However, the Bible clearly shows that we can never obtain eternal life on our own. (“For it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works so that no one can boast.” -Ephesians 2:8-9.
God is a holy God and we have all failed to live up to His standard of perfection. Scripture tells us that we “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)
The Bible tells us that “the wages of sin is death.” (Romans 6:23). Sin stains our efforts to go to heaven, making us inadequate to obtain eternal life by ourselves and separates us from God.
Do you now realize why no one is in a position to earn their way to heaven?
Sin is an addition that affects our relationship with God. How then can we deal with our sins and get into a right relationship with God?
2. Repent of Your Sins. To repent means to change our minds and our hearts from living for ourselves to living for God. It means that we have come to a realization that we cannot save ourselves and that we are spiritually bankrupt before the Almighty God. In other words, one must admit to God that one’s spiritual life is in total disorder and in need of His help.
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:3)
“Repent then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord.” (Acts 3:19)
“Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.” (Matthew 4:17)
Have you ever repented of your sins? Have you ever come before God, humbled, in need of His mercy, and desiring His forgiveness?
3. Believe in Jesus Christ. When we repent of our sins, we realize that we cannot save ourselves and that we are in need of a Savior. That is why Jesus Christ came and died for our sins and took the punishment for sins that we deserved on the cross. We must believe, from our hearts (not just our minds) that Jesus died for our sins and that He rose again three days later to show His power over death.
“But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)
“For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.” (1 Corinthians 15:3-4).
When a person believes in Jesus Christ, it means that a person puts total trust in Jesus to save him/her from the penalty of his/her sins. It means that the person realizes that his/her eternity is in the hands of Jesus Christ. The person who truly trusts in Jesus to be their Savior from eternal condemnation will be saved.
“If you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with you mouth that you confess and are saved.” (Romans 10:9-10).
Have you ever trusted in Christ from your heart for your eternity? And what does trusting in Christ for your eternity mean?
4. Follow Jesus Christ. When we want to trust in Christ for our eternity, it also means that we are willing to follow Him for all eternity. Not only do we want to accept Him to be our Savior, but we also acknowledge Him to be our Lord. He is the King of kings and Lord of lords, He is the Master, and we are willing disciples to follow His will for the rest of our lives.
“Come, follow Me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.” (Matthew 4:19)
Jesus said, “If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross (die to your own self and to your selfish desires) daily and follow Me.” (Luke 9:23)
To follow Jesus is to obey Jesus. to obey Jesus is to obey His Word and His will. Obeying Jesus means that you are willing to put Jesus first in your life and let Him be in control. It is also an expression of love and gratitude for all that Jesus has done for you on the cross.
“If you love Me, you will obey what I command.” (John 14:15)
There is a definite difference between those who profess faith in Christ and never follow Him; in contrast to those who acknowledge Him as Savior and Lord, and are following Him in obedience.
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father Who is in heaven.” (Matthew 7:21)
Jesus said, “I have come that they might have life and have it to the full.” (John 10:10) Do you have this full and abundant life today?
Putting it all Together. In summary, in order for you to have an abundant and eternal life, you must:
1. Realize that you are in no condition to save yourself because of your sins.
What will keep you from totally following Jesus today?
Are you willing to become a Christian NOW and be a disciple of Jesus Christ?
Are you willing to:
1. Repent of your sins?
If you answer is YES to all 3 of the previous questions, then receive Christ by praying the following suggested prayer:
If you have prayed this prayer from your heart, the Bible tells us: “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10:13)